An apartment holiday is one of the best kinds, giving you the freedom to be with your family and do your own thing, without having to keep the noise down for hotel guests or eat breakfast with them every day. With an apartment, your space is your own for the entirety of the holiday, giving you the space to do as you will. Many people find this a more relaxing way to spend a holiday and there are now many apartment holiday options springing up all over Portugal. Lots of families, golf enthusiasts, couples, groups and tour companies travel to the South of Portugal and the Algarve region every single year, seeking out Algarve apartments to rent for the duration of their holiday. In such a beautiful and diverse region, there are many options for apartment holidays, from thriving towns like Lagos to laid back golf villages like Balaia.
Finding the perfect apartment for you
Many people travel to the Algarve and each person or group will have different preferences. Prioritise your needs and remember what you want your holiday to be like. Here are some tips for securing a beautiful apartment ahead of your holiday:
- Look online. The internet is now one of the most popular ways to book holiday apartments, in Portugal as across the rest of the world. You will have lots of choice if you look for accommodation to rent out online.
- Find a specialist agent. Many of the golf villages and complexes in the region will have various apartment owners who rent their apartments out via an agent. Look for an agent online and get up-to-date information about which of the apartments is available. The benefit of booking this way is that you can deal with a real person who can answer any questions.
- Ask around. Many people will have travelled to Portugal and might be able to give you tips and advice about where to stay. If they have stayed somewhere especially lovely, ask for the name of the apartment complex or village. It’s always worth looking into areas that come highly recommended so you have an idea of the kind of place you will be staying. This is also useful if you have children; ask other families with children of a similar age where they stayed and what facilities they had.
Do you need to book an apartment in advance?
When travelling to Portugal, and the Algarve in particular, remember that this is a very busy area, especially in the height of the summer months. It’s a dangerous game to play to leave it to the last moment to book and even more dangerous to travel with a prior booking for an apartment. There may be some options for accommodation like hostels still available, but for the most part, the quality accommodation will get booked up, sometimes months in advance. If you already know you are going to Portugal next year, why not book now? You’ll be able to reserve the best apartments in the region.
Choosing to go on a holiday doesn’t have to be an expensive decision to make. There are lots of destinations around the world that offer you excellent value for money and that really won’t break the bank. If you want a longer, relaxing break, look into hotels and resorts that don’t cost too much and that offer you good facilities, like pools and private balconies. If you find that food and drink tends to push up the cost of your holiday, you could choose to stay in an all inclusive resort. The food perhaps won’t be as high quality, but it means that you won’t have to worry about spending spiralling out of control.
Short breaks might also be better value than you think. Put all costs into perspective before you travel, for instance, if you are travelling over the weekend, remember that you would usually be spending money on leisure activities anyway.
Renting out a villa is a good option for people looking for a quiet and peaceful holiday. There are lots of different villa options around the world, depending on what you want to do and see whilst on holiday. You will be able to choose your location, going for somewhere in a holiday village that is a little more lively or choosing somewhere more secluded for a peaceful time.
Villas sound luxurious, but there are plenty of deals if you book at the right time, especially if you travel out of season. Booking villas and flights as a package may also be an option to reduce your costs. You will get lots of different kinds of facilities in villas, such as air conditioning, kitchens and swimming pools. You will mainly need to decide what is most important to you, then work out what you can fit into your holiday budget.
Europe has so much to offer travellers. It is a destination that people from all over the world would like to visit. As British citizens, we are in close proximity to some amazing, cheap destinations that would make an excellent holiday.
Much of Europe tends to have better weather than we have in the UK. Even countries like Germany will have very cold winters but very hot summers, making it a great destination for a mini break over the summer months,
The European culture is something that really attracts people as well. There is a great cafe culture, with lots of residents enjoying great coffee and demanding good cafes. There is also a lot of really good European beer.
European architecture is varied and beautiful. From the dramatic Medieval architecture of Prague to the countryside of Italian Lombardy, there is something for everyone. Spend some time in a picturesque city or relax along stunning coastline.
Holiday packages are a convenient, and usually cheaper, way to travel. They include everything you need for the beginning of your holiday, usually at the very least a hotel and flights there and back. There are some things you should be asking of your holiday package deal. Here are some of them:
- How much money will it cost all together? Make sure the tax has been added to the flights and the price you are looking at is the finalised price.
- What times are the flights? Many packages deal include the cheapest flights possible, which are usually at pretty inconvenient times. If this is the case and you don’t mind, great. If you want to swap, you may need to pay more.
- Is transport included? Make sure you know how you are getting to your accommodation once you arrive. Many deals will include a bus transfer as part of the price.
City breaks are great for shorter holidays that won’t cost you too much money. The beauty of a city break is that you will get to spend some time away, relax, unwind, yet see lots of interesting sights as well. A city break is a good way to see interesting parts of another country.
To book your next city break, it’s best to look at flights and see which ones are available for a good price. This will give you an idea of destinations that are affordable for you. If the flights don’t go exactly where you want them to, see if there is good onward travel, like buses and trains.
Next, book your accommodation. Look at booking websites to compare prices for hotels. If you are staying in a capital city, expect prices to be quite high. However, if you are visiting a big city like Berlin or Paris, there will also be lots of options at various prices.
Booking a holiday isn’t a quick process. There’s the decision making part, deciding where you will go and what you want to see. Then you have to actually get round to booking it. You will need to find the best way to book it, so that you are sure your money is safe but you are also getting the best deal and will get as much as you can out of the package you choose.
If you are able to use the internet, booking a holiday online is going to be the cheapest option. You will be able to browse through different deals and find the one that most appeals to you and your family. Look at getting flights and hotels all in one, as this is usually the cheapest way to do it. If you want someone to sort your whole holiday for you, think about using a travel agent.